What do we do?
We offer strategic advice and insight to help our clients think through their challenges, to support their decision making and help their organisations to thrive. Our services include commercial strategy consultancy, trends and cultural insights, qualitative and quantitative market research, and data science.
This ability to blend different disciplines – each with highly skilled, specialist practitioners – makes MTM different from other strategy houses, or other research agencies. We are able to view our clients’ issues through many lenses (commercial, cultural, human) and understand them more completely as a result.
Who are the clients?
We focus on media, technology, advertising, and entertainment (sport, gaming, arts).
We are proud of our client list. It spans some of the world’s biggest firms (e.g. Google, Amazon, Facebook), some of the most adored brands (e.g. Spotify, Pinterest, Disney, HBO, the Premier League, PokerStars), and the most prestigious legacy brands that the UK market has to offer (e.g. the BBC, Channel 4, Sky, BT, the Football Association, Global Radio, Ofcom, Arts Council England).
Why you’d like the work?
We’re privileged to work on some of the most fast-moving and exciting issues in the world today, supporting clients with challenges of global import – yet relatable topics. There’s always a new question to answer, no two projects are the same, and the work is fascinating.
We’re thoughtful about our work, and we’re passionate about what we do. That enthusiasm generates warm and friendly relationships with clients and other partners. And MTMers come to really know their stuff.
We strive for a really high quality standard and will help you to be the best you can be. Don’t just take our word for it: in 2015 and again in 2018 we won the Market Research Society award for ‘Best Agency <£20m’, and we’ve been nominated for best agency the last three years. We regularly win media research awards for innovation or impact, and have been one of the FT’s Leading Management Consultants in 2019, 2020 & 2021. And most of our clients come back time and time again.
Who are we?
Around 40 curious minds, all with a real drive for getting to a good answer. Not always the easiest answer for our clients to hear, but the answer that will help them move forward.
We’re a young firm (only a couple of us wore bucket hats the first time around). Our interests range from Gossip Girl to the geegees, from Santan Dave to UKTV Dave, Anna Karenina to Anna Kendrick, Birdman or the Vulture … yes, we’re media mad and have every corner of modern entertainment culture covered.
We live across the UK nowadays. People come to our offices in London and Leeds, 3 or more days a week – to connect with each other for more creative meetings and deeper conversations, or simply to have fun. For downtime, and so people can get to know each other when not in the office every day, we have socials, book club, team lunches, quizzes, awards, charity events and good old fashioned coffee breaks.
We develop deep insights through ‘always-on’ trend scanning, expert interviews, and consumer trackers that help brands make sense of the world that consumers today are living in. Our clients look to us to develop resonant consumer strategies, make informed business decisions, and stay up-to-date in today’s ever-changing world.
We are looking for a Ci/Trends Research Manager (or talented SRE) to join our growing Trends and Cultural Insights practice. Someone with 2-4 year’s experience and a strong know-how for identifying, articulating and evidencing cultural trends.
You would be working on a combination of large scale trends studies, including an annual content trends study that informs content strategy for one of the world’s leading SVODs. Alongside this you would work on smaller ad hoc studies that might answer questions such as:
- What does Britishness mean today?
- What does wellness look like for marginalised communities?
- What is the future of mobile gaming?
- What core travel trends are going to change how travel apps are developed?
Lastly, you would also support the wider team on mixed-methods studies where Cultural Insights and trends are needed to frame the rest of the consumer-led approaches.
Responsibilities may vary but will include:
- Researching consumer and cultural shifts, keeping abreast of category trends, consumer insights and market intelligence across our sectors (particularly for key client accounts you work with)
- Delivering concise analysis and engaging outputs to our clients
- Presenting insights, trends and ideas in inspiring formats
- Driving team to explore and identify interesting things in culture and determine how we can apply these to our clients
- Maintaining a visible presence on external platforms, helping us to forge a place for our team
- Being a subject matter expert for your practice area and imparting to others
What are the key things we are looking for?
We would love to find someone who is a native to the entertainment, media and tech world. They will have a genuine passion for consumer, societal and cultural trends with a curious mind, and a collaborative, proactive approach. This role requires a mix of skills – blending research, insight and strategy, and underpinned by great client management. We’re open to people who have come from different styles of agencies and roles e.g. Planners at Ad Agencies, Qualitative researchers looking to focus on trends, or trends consultants keen to hone in on media, tech and entertainment.
Candidates who meet the majority of the following additional criteria will be at an advantage:
- Comfortable in the world of consumer trends, cultural analysis, and quantitative and qualitative research
- A collaborative problem solver who always keeps marketing solutions at the centre of their thinking.
- A lover of culture and an impactful storyteller who excels at simplifying, educating and inspiring.
- Experience in the making of things, from conception to execution (be that brands, campaigns, website, products).
- The ability to unlock meaningful solutions to challenging questions
- Impeccable client management – answering questions before they ask and able to pick out the nuances of clients’ business challenges
- Culturally aware – experience of different cultures would be desirable
- Experience in researching a range of geographical markets
- Seamless project management – managing timelines, deliverables and budgets
- A ‘finisher’ – can meet deadlines and see things through to their successful completion
- Motivated and excited by competing for new projects (and wider new business activity)
- Confident in advocating for your ideas
- Attention to detail and exceedingly high-quality standards
- Languages are an added bonus
What are our key benefits?
(This will include but not be limited to):
- A bonus based on both individual and team performance
- Support towards career development (to become a certified member of the MRS for example)
- An annual personal training budget
- Pension (Employer’s contribution will be 5%)
- Private healthcare with Vitality
- Life insurance
- Income protection insurance
- In addition to all national holidays, MTM offers 25 days’ leave, increasing gradually after a qualifying period
- Day off for your birthday
- Payment of a professional subscription
- A range of social events
If all of this sounds exciting we’d love to hear from you.