The position we are offering:
- Senior Research Executive or Research Manager in our qualitative team – based in either our London or Leeds office (with opportunities to work across both sites)
- Some of the most fascinating projects around, with leading-edge clients
- A young, friendly, motivated atmosphere and team with one of the best networks you’ll come across, throughout the media, tech and sports sectors
- This is a qualitative research position, but with opportunities to work alongside our consumer qualitative and Strategy teams on mixed-method projects (national and multinational) dependent on the candidate’s interests and aspirations.
- To work closely with the team and Directors to maintain and develop our reputation as a premium media, tech and sport research proposition
- To help us deliver beacon projects for a range of clients, looking after the bulk of the project management and reporting (with guidance)
- To be responsible for, and take ownership of, projects / project elements
- To enjoy meeting and presenting to new and existing clients
- To contribute toward our growth by helping with proposals and new business
- Tasks include: project management and client handling, attending briefing meetings, background/desk research, preparing proposals, writing recruitment screeners, creating bespoke discussion guides, preparing stimulus materials, developing video-editing briefs, liaising with suppliers, moderation / fieldwork, qualitative analysis, charting in PowerPoint, writing Word reports and presenting to clients
- To have a role in supporting and developing more junior members of the MTM team
The experience we are looking for:
- 3+ years’ experience from within a research agency (essential), which ideally includes research studies for media clients
- An enthusiasm for, and understanding of, the media sector (essential)
- Degree-level education (2:1 or 1st)
- A sound understanding of how to design appropriate research projects
- Significant experience of central involvement in research projects from beginning to end, particularly in set-up, fieldwork and creation / presentation of deliverables
- A desire, and ability, to cultivate client relationships
- Qualitative research experience and strong technical skills are essential:
- Developing research materials (e.g. discussion guide, projective techniques)
- Focus-group moderation and interviewing skills (face-to-face and online methods)
- Analytical ability to see the research narrative and business impact
- Adept at creating PowerPoint charts which bring the research to life
- Able to present with panache and clarity
- An application and knowledge of diverse qualitative techniques (e.g. online tools).
The personal qualities we are looking for:
- A passionate interest in a career in media research
- Ambition to develop your skills in offering strategic insight and advice to clients
- Helpful, flexible, enjoys working as part of a team with colleagues from other backgrounds
- A ‘finisher’ – can meet deadlines and see things through to their successful completion
- A proactive approach – able to thrive in a growing team
- Enthusiasm for building and developing strong client relationships
- Motivated and excited by competing for new projects (and wider new business activity)
- Active at industry conferences/events (e.g. MRG, AQR, MRS), or have a desire to be
- Attention to detail and exceedingly high-quality standards.
MTM is a specialist provider of strategic advice and insight to, and about, the media, technology and sports sectors. We work for some of the most exciting clients around, including the BBC, Google, Facebook, Sky, Amazon, Netflix, Warner Media, Channel 4, UKTV, The Premier League, and The FA. Some of these projects are ‘pure research’ and some are ‘combined research and strategy’. We design all our research bespoke and use a blend of traditional and cutting-edge techniques.
The MTM business was founded in 2006 and we launched our consumer research division in late 2010. We are an award-winning agency, securing MRS Best Agency Awards twice in the last 5 years (2015 and 2018), MRG Best Research Team (2016), Mediatel Research Agency Team of the Year (2016) and Best Custom Media Project (2015), and have been named among the FT’s Leading UK Management Consultants for the last 2 years. We have a dedicated MTM Sport division and Cultural Insights team, and run a syndicated research tracker, ScreenThink.
Some examples of the exciting research work we have been undertaking;
- The Age of Television study for Thinkbox determining the fundamental needs that drive people’s viewing choices
- A major brand healthcheck of BBC Three, evaluating the service’s online-only offer among young audiences
- Informing cross-platform marketing campaigns for Google and Netflix
- Fuelling the development of video-on-demand propositions for clients including Britbox and UKTV
- Conducting studies for the BBC to inform the development of digital products
- Identifying and tracking video and audio content trends for a multinational technology company
- Exploring fan experiences of the 2018 FIFA World Cup for The FA, and informing the development of campaigns to support respect in the game and participation among women and girls
We are ambitious and our aim is to be the leading specialist media, tech and sport consultancy for research and strategy services in the UK.